Fortune's Fool - Mercedes Lackey Charming from the fist page, the latest installment of The Five Hundred Kingdoms is retelling/reinvention of several different influences. There is a bit of The Little Mermaid, and elements of Russian folktales and a bit of Greek legend (Sirens/Siren blood). I enjoyed this one just as much as One Good Knight and considerably more than The Fairy Godmother. The Tradition has less impact upon the lives of Katya and her family than the previous novels because they are part of the Sea King's underwater Kingdom, but it is still a strong force within the series. Like previous novels, Katya is paired up with a love interest almost instantly, but unlike the first three, she is then separated from him and he must find her and free her on his own. Ekaterina, or Katya is the most genuinely likeable, if not relatable, female protagonists this far in the series. Likewise for Sasha, as he is just as likeable as Peri and Adam, and much more so than Alexander.My only real complaint is that I do wish that the names for places had been a little more thought-out or just even more original. "Dry Lands", "Nippon", and "Belarus" felt like an easy/unoriginal way out for Lackey to name important parts of the story. A little more disguising of who their real-world Earth counterparts are would do a lot for the atmosphere of the story.More of my reviews here: http://bibliophileanonymous.blogspot.com/