Among Thieves: A Tale of the Kin

Among Thieves - Douglas Hulick I was pleasantly surprised by winning Hulick's Among Thieves in the Good Reads First Reads giveaway.I was told by a friend it reminded her of Scott Lynch and I can clearly see why. There are shades of Locke Lamora in Drothe, but only that, shades. I was reminded of Joe Abercrombie's Logen Ninefingers, perhaps. Either way, Drothe is a singular character, one that you're never sure what he's going to do or how you will feel about it. He is clever, he is desperate and he is amusing. He's also a dangerous, murderous member of the underground. He's not snow-white as a protagonist and that makes him a more interesting and thus more fun to read about for 400 pages. Hulick's writing is clever, descriptive and best of all, very engaging. He has created a thriving world, a unique Empire, an interesting theology, different magic system, culture and history. The book was exciting, interesting and wasn't too predictable for fantasy fare. There's very little reliance on magic to solve all Drothe's problems, and I was reluctant to finish as fast as I did. The magic system is fairly straightforward, but is unlike others in fantasy I've read and it was a pleasure to read a new idea on glimmer, as it's called.I highly enjoyed this first novel in his work, and I look forward to picking up the rest of them as he publishes (which I hope is soon!)More of my reviews here: http://bibliophileanonymous.blogspot.com/